The Institute was founded in 1957. The Institute specializes in the development of fundamental and applied problems of cybernetics, computer engineering and informatization. The priority directions of research and development in the institute correspond to:
- Development of the general theory and methods of system analysis, mathematical simulation, optimization and artificial intelligence
- Development of the general theory of control methods for constructing intelligent control systems of various levels and purposes
- Development of the general theory of computers as well as promising methods of computer engineering, artificial intelligence and information science
- Design of promising general-purpose and applied software systems
- Development of new information technologies and intelligent systems
- Development of fundamental and application problems of society informatization, social, economic and production-technological structures.